Monday 26 January 2009

An Introspection: What should I do with my Life?

There's no dearth of books about how to become successful in life. These books come under the disguises of how to be a successful man?....how to make money in life?(is one of the highest search terms in google)...etc..etc.. I had made several attempts to finish at least one of these books and failed miserably, each time.

I failed because, I hate motherhood statements. We know we shouldn't lie or we shouldn't bribe. But how many of us do that? All these books give you is gyaan and we know enough of it. Unless we employ whatever techniques/methods that are outlined in such books, we are wasting our time. So I dropped my attempts to get inspired..

Recently I came across this article from Po Bronson, thanks to Neelakantan. I think this is the first article I came across, which doesn't use motherhood statements, to make you introspect/ inspire. There is a followup article too but thats more of motherhood statements.

In this truly inspiring and insightful article, Po writes about the people he met and how their experiences made him draw some of the conclusions that form the basis of his book, What Should I Do with My Life? .

I really liked these points...

a) Every job has a value system. We will a lot more happier, if we don't have to fight the value system around us.

b) "Keeping your doors open" is a trap. It's an excuse to stay uninvolved. How true!

c) The example of the Aerospace Engineer: Their backup plans do not lead to different destinations, such as "If I don't get into business school, I'll be a schoolteacher." Their backup plans lead to the same destination, and if they ve to arrive late by a back road, that's fine.

No comments: